Browse the Pinterest wedding boards for a little while and you’ll pick up on a new trend: the bridesmaid proposal. Some people think the notion of a bridesmaid proposal is ridiculous, but I think it’s really sweet. All this proposal entails is coming up with a special way to ask your girls to be your bridesmaids. For once it’s our turn to “pop the question,” and its actually a pretty cute idea.
When I looked for examples of these proposals on the internet, I quickly became overwhelmed by the massive amount of stuff being thrown at me. It seemed like everything was either way too complicated, expensive, or cheesy (yes, I’m talking about you, Ring Pop proposal). Then, when I was walking through the craft store by my work one day, inspiration struck. I grabbed a few items off the shelves, went home, and put it all together. Here’s what I came up with:
These little boxes are so simple that even non-crafty brides (like me) can make them.
Here’s what you’ll need.
- plain wooden boxes, one for each member of your bridal party (pro tip: get one extra one as a “practice box”)
- two tubes of paint in your wedding colors (one for the entire box, one for your accent color)
- a stencil
- an alphabetical stamp
- stamp ink
- paint brushes
- stationery paper
Here’s how you do it.
- Paint each individual box the main color that you want. You don’t have to do the inside of the box, that’s too much effort. Leave the boxes open until they are dry (usually only 10-15 minutes depending on what type of paint you use).
- Place the stencil over the box and paint in the design with the accent color paint. This is when you will be thankful you have that extra box to practice on. My first one came out absolutely horrible– there was gold paint everywhere. Let that paint dry for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Use the stamp and ink to put the name of the bridesmaid on the box
- Now that the box is done, this last step is the most important one. Write your bridesmaid a personal letter. It can be as long or short as you want it, but be sure to let your girl know how much you appreciate her and end with asking her to be your bridesmaid.
Total cost for five bridesmaids: $10. Seriously, you can’t beat that.
This makes a really great bridesmaid proposal because your bridesmaid is actually getting two gifts: a keepsake box to put jewelry or whatever they want in, and a heart-felt letter that they can treasure for years to come. It’s so simple and so cheap that you really can’t go wrong with this one.